Monday, April 25, 2011

Matthew Coles

Saturday Patrick drove up this way and we went for a nice 40-45 mile ride into Snohomish and on the Centennial Trail.  It was a great ride, great conversation, and some simple climbing at the very end.  It was nice to climb just a little since we were both fighting off head congestion.

However, the powerful part of the ride was the individual for whom I was riding.  Matthew Coles passed away in December of 2010.  He fought brain cancer and was alive to experience the birth of his third son.  A fellow parishioner was great friends of Matt and told me that Matt was the biggest influence in his life.  Chris was raised Catholic, but it wasn't until he met Matt that he truly embraced his faith in a new light and transformed his life.  Chris said of Matt, "He's the most devoted Catholic I've personally known and a true friend."  Below is a prayer that Matt wrote about 2 years ago:

"Vivre d'Amour" (To live in love)
To live your life, oh Christ - here, now, and with my whole being.
To give every one of my days to You, and with each of my actions to live in Your presence.
To put others before myself - and to give myself for them.
To focus on taking care of myself only insofar as it is an act of love towards you, Lord and towards others - especially Lucy and our family.
To love without measure and without fear.
To be misunderstood by this world, and to love you all the more!


No comments:

Post a Comment