Tuesday, March 8, 2011

More Scheduled Rides

The LIVESTRONG Seattle team (unofficially) has added another ride to our schedule - the Seattle Century.  Wooptido, another 100 miles.  I know that is what you are thinking.  Although I also know that some of you can't even fathom riding 100 miles on a bike.  I'm excited for my first century.  At times I can't even believe that I haven't actually ridden a century yet.  I was hopeful during the Livestrong Challenge, but the rain made the 70 miles that much more appealing.  I know I could do it though.  That was 2 months after chemo and I did 70.  100 miles would be a challenge but mostly mental.  I'm not worried.

So why does the Seattle Century seem all that much more crazy.  The Seattle Century is on July 30.  Still not sure?  Let me put this into a bit more of a perspective...

  • Flying Wheels Summer Century - beginning of June
  • STP - July 9-10 - 203 miles
  • Tour des Chutes - July 16 - 100 miles
  • Echelon Gran Fondo - July 23 - 100 miles
  • Seattle Century - July 30 - 100 miles
Make a little bit more sense now?  That is right, 503 miles of "organized/scheduled" rides for the month of July.  I've been doing a lot of research for training during that month along with the prep in May and June.  I can NOT let my legs sit stagnant at any point.  Gotta keep the blood moving in those muscles so that they dont seize.  That means that, being July, the weather should be nice which means that I'll be riding about 30 miles a day for commuting.  And depending on how my legs are feeling I might need to get out for a walk or easy spin on my lunch.  30 x 5 = 150.  150 miles between the weeks of STP until Seattle Century means ~450.  

As I've told people joking, I'm either going to be in the best shape that I've been in, since high school basketball, or potentially in my life - or I'll need to find an old person to lend me their donut (pillowed seat with a hole in it) and wheelchair.  

I'm vowing for the great shape.  I can already tell that my legs are feeling more efficient and have trimmed out.  Some stuff to come in the future will hopefully lead to an increased metabolism and weight loss (more to come after the fact).  

To note, yesterday I had a GREAT ride home.  I'm on a new route these days, and in the first half of my ride (before the hills is important to note) I was at an average of over 20mph and spinning at a cadence of 105-112.  Felt great.  

As I've said before, and I like it, I'm addicted to cycling!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment