Monday, February 21, 2011

Clif Bars and Chewy Granola

Last week I posted on my Facebook page that I made my second batch of energy bars and they turned out better than the first.  I've received many requests for the recipe, so rather than sending individually I decided to post it.  There are many variations and my recipe is a blend of a few that I found online.  I'm sure some images would help, so the next batch I make, I'll take some pictures along the way.  If you have any questions or need clarification, just leave a comment.  Enjoy!

Ingredients

1 1/4 cups Rice Crispies (I've heard there are some brown rice crispies but haven't found them)
1 cup rolled Oats (just your standard oat meal)
2 tbsp flax seed (I've also mixed in wheat germ)
1/4 cup Almonds, nuts, seeds (any mixture you'd like)

Based on your preference for bar...
1/4 cup dried fruit (obviously for a fruity one),
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (for peanut butter chocolate chip), or
1/4 cup peanut butter (for peanut butter - in addition to what is listed below)

The "glue"
1/3 cup almond butter (you can also substitute soy nut butter or peanut butter.  Peanut butter is the least healthy but also the least expensive.)
1/4 cup brown rice syrup (you can also use corn syrup though it is not as healthy)
1 tbsp vanilla
2 tbsp brown sugar

The process -
There are 2 variations that I've done.  For a bar that is more similar to a chewy granola bar, just chop up the fruit and nuts a little bit.  However, especially for riding and wanting a denser packing of energy, I like to make them more Clif Bar-like.  Below is how to make them Clif Bar-like (if you dont want that, put away your food processor)

In a food processor combine all of the dry ingredients.  Chop it all up so that it is a thick powder.  Pour into a mixing bowl.

In a saucepan combine the "glue" over medium heat.  Stir constantly and the heat will break down the almond/soy/peanut butter and marry it with the syrup, vanilla, and brown sugar.  Once it is all combined pour over the dry ingredients.  Using a wooden spoon, mix as best as you can.  Then take off any jewelry and get your hands sticky (this is the easiest way to make sure it is all mixed in together).  Lightly oil an 8x8 pan, and pour the mixture into the pan.  Using wax paper (and I've used another bowl or a bread pan) push down and pack the mixture into an even level (typically about 1/2 inch thick).  You want it to be tightly packed to stay together.

Place in refrigerator for approx. 30 minutes to cool/harden.  Remove from refrigerator and pull the bars out of the 8x8 and onto a cutting board (I typically put the 8x8 upside down and if the bars dont just fall out, I'll help pry it from the sides and let gravity do the rest).  Cut into bars the size you want.

Packing:
You can either individually wrap with plastic wrap or place into a pyrex container with wax paper between layers and then grab what you want, when you need it.  Really easy to just toss 1-2 in a plastic bag before a ride.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment