Monday, February 14, 2011

Weekend Intervals

Did some good riding this weekend.  The weather was supposed to be pretty nasty with wind and rain, but the rain didn't come until late in the afternoon Saturday and the wind sustained well through the night, which meant the roads were dry by midday on Sunday.  Saturday morning, wanting to catch any bit of the road before the storm blew in, I was sure to head out.  Did a nice 17.22 mile figure 8 near the house so that I was never too far away should the rain start dumping.  The route was great.  Had some nice hills (one that I was glad to be going down, but in the near future I'll challenge in the opposite direction) and some flats too.  I mixed it up and did some intervals as well as a sprint up half of one of my climbs.  Went anaerobic and then wanted to get closer to my threshold to ride the rest of the climb.  No use in beating up my body just to say I sprinted the whole thing right.

The hill on 164th in Snohomish joins my classification as a 50mph hill.  I wasn't pedaling that hard on the first half before the plateau, but the grade on the bottom half was enough to have me at 50+ were I not to start increased feathering as I was approaching the stop sign.  Should be a good climb, but definitely one I'll want to hit early in the morning to avoid traffic.

Sunday I took the same route once we got home from church.  Legs were burning a bit more, but that is a good thing.  Looks like we are in for quite the stretch of rain ahead, but at least the wind will be dying down which means, once my wife's car is out of the shop I should be able to get back on the bike commute.

LIVESTRONG

No comments:

Post a Comment