Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Our LIVESTRONG Story

LIVESTRONG urges those affected by cancer to share their story.  This is what I shared...

After 4 months of what I was told could be a 6 month chronic cough, several appointments to the doctor until I could finally tell he was annoyed that "oh, you're back again" I finally pointed out additional research to the doctor and asked that I be referred to an ENT.  Despite the pathology reports not being 100% confirmed the ENT called that Saturday night as I prepared dinner prior to Trick 'r Treating to tell me that I had Hodgkin's Lymphoma.  "Looks like we caught this early."

I didn't know if it was a trick or a treat, but I definitely got sick from it after the PET scan revealed it was Stage 3.  27 years old.  Married for just 1 year and told we have cancer.  Immediately, my beautiful wife started telling everyone that "we have cancer" because she wouldn't let me go through it alone - and it impacted her just as much. 

We were recommended to visit a fertility clinic, but just couldn't see going that route.  So instead, knowing that there was a risk of infertility we took advantage of the 4 days between my PET scan and first round of chemo.  Our daughter was born in August of 2010.

Throughout treatment there were probably more good days than bad - I was blessed.  But during the rough days, the hope of our child growing kept spirits high.  Also, knowing that aerobic exercise has been recommended to help patients through treatment, I kept riding. There were nights when I'd ride on my rollers for only 3 miles and I would sit in the garage and cry.  But 3 miles was all my body could handle.  Still, though, we signed up for the Livestrong Challenge Seattle, shared our story of getting pregnant with Lance's friend College (who couldn't wait to tell Lance), and exactly 2 months after my last chemo I rode 70-miles in the rainy Seattle Challenge.

Those 6 months of treatment were the worst of my life, but they were also the best.  They taught us so much.  Patience.  Hope.  Love. Family.  Perseverance. Strength.  Unity.  My diagnosis was the worst thing for me, but the best experience.  Finally, my family knows someone with a cancer story that wasn't a death sentence.  My perspective on life, love, cycling, and the LIVESTRONG community is forever changed.

I will keep riding for those who can't.  I will keep riding to be a riding billboard for LIVESTRONG.  I will keep riding for my health and to share how much LIVESTRONG has impacted my life through my treatment and now afterward.  I will keep riding so that my daughter someday can say, "my daddy had and beat cancer, and LIVESTRONG did so much that now there is no more cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment