Monday, January 31, 2011

Weekend ride, dedications, and getting in shape

Now I have, but I haven't been holding up my end of the bargain on my riding.  I told you all in one of my earliest posts that my commitment to you was that I would ride 1 mile for every $5 that were donated.  Now I know that I am a little bit behind - though not much since I was able to ride a good portion of last week (including my Thursday morning ride and a ride on Sunday).  However, I haven't been documenting the dedications as much as I hoped.  To be honest, it all happened when I lost a bit of wind from my sails after I put together a video one evening the garage.  It was cold outside - my thinned out blood tells me it was miserably cold outside, but  my Midwestern roots (and parents) remind me that there is nothing "miserable" about 26 degrees.  Likely just another sign of me becoming a PacNWerner, but I digress.  I was in the garage, on the rollers (also can be miserable at times since you dont get any change in scenery), and I did a Flip video dedication to my friend and fellow survivor Flutie.  RAF gave me a nice donation when I sent out an email telling folks of what I've been up to.  In fact, even getting my email inspired him to take the plunge and register for LIVESTRONG Austin.  It will be great to meet him in person and hopefully keep up with him - it might not be a headwind holding you back, Flutie, I just might be holding onto your saddle for a pull.  Well, lo and behold, the damn video wouldnt upload to YouTube.  I've tried more than 2 handful of times and now I'm out of fingers - or at least have been out of motivation to try and repost it.  Nevertheless, I kept riding but holding out hope that I would do my rides in order (for the most part) and document the dedications the same way.  My list of dedications is at home, but look forward to an upcoming post on who I've been riding for.

This weekend was another great opportunity for a ride.  The stars aligned and Patrick and I were able to get a free pass from our wives to go on a ride and Michael was able to join us as well.  As Sarah got ready to go to the bridal shower for Kaitlin, I was getting my bike into the car and heading down to Seattle.  The forecast was calling for high 40s - maybe even hitting 50, but I wore my tights just in case.  Better to be warm than cold, right?  Well, it wasn't a miserable day, but it was biting cold.  I'd guess it was more like the low 40s and a few different times I needed to ignore the lack of feeling in my fingers, but we did about 26 miles, which included a climb up 65th in Seattle to Top Pot Donuts.  I decided not to get a donut since I'm trying to lose weight right now, and I'm glad I did.  Down to 183.6 this morning.  Only 20 lbs to go!  I'd say the most amazing part of the ride (and I know it's because they haven't had as much time), normally I'm able to do hills, but nothing like Patrick and Michael.  However, since I have a longer commute and have been able to ride more with my schedule, I've even started to become a bit of a hill hunter.  Going up the ridge, I was able to sustain a faster climb than both of them - something I've never done - and something I'll probably only be able to do for another week or 2 until they catch up and pass me.  Still, it was pretty cool.

In even better news, our friends Mark and Maria finally decided to get some hybrid/comfort bikes and Maria just told me today that she is hooked and didn't realize how much she would love biking.  They may not be doing the STP or a LIVESTRONG ride, but they are riding and that is all that matters.

Ride hard and LIVESTRONG!

No comments:

Post a Comment