Sunday, December 19, 2010

Aluminum v. Carbon

Recently I've read a few different blogs, discussions, and one research paper on carbon vs. steel or aluminum.  Now first let me start off by saying that my aluminum was originally purchased as a "I'd like to have a bike, have a mountain bike in WI, no need to spend too much on it" bike.  In other words, I didn't know nearly the amount that I know now (which still can be expanded) about bikes, cycling, technique, components, etc.  It is a Redline 740 (I think) with a mix of Tektro and Sora components, a triple, and pedals that had clips on them (which I guess it still a step up from just plastic pedals - but you get the drift).

As I believe I've mentioned before, at the end of this summer I found a really nice deal on a Fuji Team that was sitting in the warehouse and listed at clearance.  It is the same model as my friend Patrick (though his is a year or two older).  I did some convincing, multiple pats of the eye, the "what would you like me to cook you for dinner tonight my love" and lo and behold, I was given permission to make the purchase.

As winter has come upon us, I've got the fenders on my aluminum for winter commuting and typically am only on my carbon  when on my rollers in the garage.  Friday the roads were clear and the weather was looking nice so I  felt comfortable taking the newer ride.  I've got a mix of 105 and Ultegra components on it (so still nothing to brag about), and I also know that my Redline could use some maintenance and new items (chain, cables and housings, brake pads soon, etc.).  That being said, the Fuji is so much more responsive.  It's stiffer, shifts easier, I feel like there is more torque off the line, and really just overall stiffer.  Maybe I'm not the best to describe it, but then again, if you've been on both, you know what I mean. It's a different, smoother ride.  I can't argue the points that the actual research paper stated which was that for a short commute (like I have - 12.5 miles) there isn't a significant time savings by being on a carbon compared to aluminum or steel.  But I can argue that of my 2 rides, it is the preferred ride.  And maybe it puts me in a better mood and I get into more of a rhythm when sensing the stiff responsiveness and smooth rolling, but it does shave a few minutes off my commute.  I'm not sure if it's as an analyst or a cyclist but I track stuff like that.  It also nearly guarantees interesting looks when people ask how long of a ride it is and I can tell them 37 minutes to get into work and 42 going home - we track precision.  My father-in-law does the same thing going around the lake on his rowing scull.  Keeps our competitive edge right?

LIVESTRONG

No comments:

Post a Comment