Monday, December 13, 2010

Essential Work Stand Review

Over the past summer I'd been looking to get a work stand.  However, the good ones that I wanted were too high in price and I just couldn't justify it for the work I was doing (basic maintenance).  Then, about 2 months ago I went into Performance and saw the Spin Doctors Essential Work Stand on sale for $59.00.  I asked them for an honest review of it based on the basic maintenance that I've been doing and decided to get it.  It has worked wonderfully for me, with one big hitch - the weather has turned rainy around here, but not so horrible that it's kept me off the road.  Nevertheless, my carbon fiber bike hung on the wall in the garage while I was out riding my old aluminum with fenders.  Each day I would get home, grab the stand, clamp in my bike, and spray it down before getting lube back onto the chain and necessary parts.

This weekend 5 stars went down to 2 for my purposes, and I'll be returning the stand on Tuesday (thank you Performance Bike for your 90-day guarantee policy).  Just Saturday I was on my rollers in the garage, and when I got off thought that I'd give my ride a nice shine.  Due to the rounded,wider structure of the bottom bracket on the Fuji Team bikes, it doesn't fit snuggly in the hold for the BB.  I had also been really nervous about putting that bike in any stand because I've heard that you need to be extremely careful so you don't crack the frame.  Lo and behold I've found reviews about the use of the hard plastic on the clamp rather than hard rubber.

All in all, if you are looking for a budget stand and you don't have (or plan to get) a carbon frame, this is the stand for you.  It makes it challenging to do work on the BB, but it isn't impossible. If you have or plan to get a carbon frame, save some added pennies and I'll let you know what I get instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment