Thursday, December 9, 2010

I RIDE FOR LIVESTRONG

The inaugural post to a blog is always an interesting thing.  Where does one start?  Primacy/recency theory - people will remember the first thing and the last thing - so it needs to catch attention (even if not publicized just yet).

As the description says, this blog is primarily about cycling - my adventures, my training, any dreams/rides/aspirations I have, I'd love to say that it would someday become a "Sheldon Brown" type of blog, but I'm a realist and know I don't have that expertise or wisdom.  However, I can tell you what I do have, because of what I don't have.

I have a passion for cycling and an enormous passion for LIVESTRONG because of what I don't have anymore - Stage 3 Hodgkin's lymphoma.  Some of my story will make it's way throughout this blog, but here are the basics:

  • Moved to Seattle from the Midwest in the fall of 2006
  • Never had a chance to transport my mountain bike so I purchased a low-end road bike summer of 2008
  • It sat in the apartment other than a few rides
  • Summer of '09 my wife and I bought a home and I started riding more - this led to commuting to work
  • Spring/Summer of '09 I also struggled with a chronic cough.  My mother-in-law was always amazed but I felt best when I was cycling - no coughing
  • Fall '09 I was feeling healthiest I had since college
  • Halloween '09 I got hit with a ton of bricks - also known as Stage 3 Hodgkin's lymphoma
  • I bought rollers to keep riding in doors - more to come on those experiences
  • February '10 I found LIVESTRONG and the Team LIVESTRONG Challenge series
  • I've been riding in celebration of my battle, for those who can't, and for funds to end cancer ever since
  • April 20, 2010 was my last chemo
  • June 20, 2010 was my first organized ride - LIVESTRONG Challenge Seattle - 70 miles
  • I raised over $3,000 after setting an initial goal of $750

The LIVESTRONG Challenge Series has pulled out of Seattle, but we will never pull away from the fight.  We have some grassroots things in the works for 2011 and I'll be traveling to Austin for the Challenge and hopefully the Ride for the Roses event on October 15-16.  I'm committing to raise $10,000 and hope that through this blog people see my passion, hear my story, think of those in your life who are affected by cancer and donate to the cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment